Saturday, June 28, 2014

Grampie

Tonight I got the call from my mother that my Grampie had passed away.  
He was 90 years old and had recently been moved into a home because he needed constant care and my nanny couldn't do it herself. 
The last time I saw him was a year and a half ago. Little did I know that it would be the last time I saw him. I was so sure that I would be able to see him when we went home this summer. Now I will have to make due with his grave. I will bring Dey and Dominic there to meet the man who made me laugh so many times. 
Tonight I am so terribly sad that I didn't get to say goodbye and that I don't get to go to the funeral and be there for my family, especially my mom and nanny. 
As I'm sitting here with many tears falling from my face I am flooded with memories. 
Grampie always loved ginger snaps when I was a kid and he always would get "mad" when I would eat them. 
He had candy tucked away in a drawer in the TV room along with Peppermints. I claim that he is where I got my sweet tooth from. 
He always drank postom after his dinner and was always in his garden. 
He one time was in the news paper for growing the biggest potatoe in Dartmouth. 
I remember sitting on his lap and shoving socks in his mouth when he would snore so loudly. 
I spent countless days with him and my nanny in the valley where he was in his garden too or working on the land. 
He kicked the geese who tried to attack myself and Michelle one summer. 
He couldn't remember mine and my cousins name during the dinner prayer so he called us jenny and Ashely, my other cousins. 
He always gave me whisker burn as a kid and drove a giant van. He always had grease under his nails from working in his garage. 
I have so many memories but I can't quite seem to get them all down. 
He was a man who I thought would always be here. He was a tall man in many ways with a big heart. 
He was my grandfather who I will miss terribly. 




I love you Grampie and miss you so much already. 
Heaven gained a giant of a man tonight. 
I can't wait to see you again one day. 

No comments: