Friday, October 10, 2014

A Mothers Job...

I have always heard the saying "it's a mothers job to worry" and I never really understood how much a mother worries about her children until I became a mom myself. Today was no exception to my worrying.
Last night was another typical horrible night of very little sleep because Dominic doesn't like to sleep very much, and hes had a bit of a cold the past couple days so that hasn't helped... oh and his poor teeth have been bothering him. Dominic went to bed around 945 then woke up about 130 and I fed him and then when he was done feeding and semi conscious I went to put him to bed and well that was just not happening. All of a sudden he got a serge of energy and thought it was play time so I brought him out to the living room and let him play until he got tired enough that he went to sleep. That finally happened around 430. I put him back in his crib and he woke up at 5 and I made Dey get up with him and he went back to sleep a couple minutes later and he sleep for about 2 hours then he woke up. We didn't get out of bed until 930 and we got up and made our daily Skype call to my mom and Dominic was as cheerful as always and excited to talk to grandma. After we got off the phone we had brunch, we both had breakfast at 3am. We had scrambled eggs and toast. He has had eggs in the past so that's no big deal but it was his first time having bread. He loved all of it and ate a bit. He didn't eat too much which is fine. I nursed him and he had a lovely poopy diaper, a little less than thick if you catch my drift, and he went down for a nap. He didn't sleep too long but when he got up he was happily playing in his crib and was perfectly fine. I changed him into an outfit he has never worn before and we went on our day as we normally do.
I was in the kitchen for something and Dominic loves standing up and rocking with the rocking chair so this is where he was. He started to cough a bit and so I looked at him and he spat up a bit, and hes never been one to spit up so this was shocking to me and then he kept going. Poor little guy threw up for the first time and hes only 8 months old. I changed him and he kept on his way of playing happy as a clam. Then he got sick again and this time he was not so happy. He was scared and sad and didn't know what was happening and kept trying to get away from him and clinging to me. I felt so bad for him because his stomach was empty and so there wasn't anything to throw up. I decided instead of constantly changing his outfits I would leave him in his diaper and take one of our spare blankets and use that as he got sick so I wasn't needing to clean up my floor constantly. You could tell he wasn't feeling well now because he just snuggled into me as if there was no place he would rather be and he felt safe with me. He got sick a few more times and even woke up from sleeping to get sick. It was breaking my heart and I was starting to worry about him. At first I thought he was getting sick from something he ate but he kept getting sick so its safe to say it wasn't the food because it wasn't in his system anymore. I called Dey to tell him what was going on and for him to come home and he did. When he came home I asked him to give Dominic a blessing which he did. He got sick one time after that and then started to perk up and wanting to play again. I felt so bad for him and I have been worrying all afternoon/evening about it and feeling so bad for him. He started drinking his water by the mouthful and even had rice cereal and kept that down. But as the evening came I knew he would want to nurse and this worried me because drinking milk when you are sick is not a good idea because it will make you more sick, but as a baby he needs milk. I didn't want to feed him but he was begging for it and so I finally fed him. I worried while feeding him and afterwards, and even now as he sleeps that he will get sick again. I am hoping he doesn't.
I now understand how as mothers we worry about our children more than others do. Dey was so calm and I was crying about it. Its so hard to watch your child in pain or sick because they are helpless and theres not much else but holding them that you can do.
I love my son and so far he is doing better and it makes me so happy. I also love my husband and I am grateful that he has the priesthood and is able to bless our son when he is sick. This, I know, is why he got better so quick. It just reaffirms my faith in Jesus Christ and it helps me have a better love for my saviour and heavenly father. It is amazing what the priesthood can do.
Now I just hope that today doesn't happen ever again!

No comments: